Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Writing Assessment One

When I was in high school I had planned my future out. I was going to go to college and major in English and Criminal Justice. I joined the Army at seventeen, while still in high school, and was going to use them to pay my way through college. The original plan was to finish college and join the LAPD, with the eventual plan of working homicide. As with everything in life, things changed. Decisions I never expected having to make, changed the course of my life.

It's been ten years since I graduate high school. I am finally in college again and I'm majoring in English, only this time I'm doing if for a different reason. I never ended up applying for the LAPD, instead I experienced life, started a family and became a photographer. My husband and I have moved every three years and I've thrived on the change in scenery. Six months ago we were given our next duty station and I decided to transfer from the art school I'd been attending to National University. I decided on English as a major because it will give me a solid foundation regardless of what my future may hold. I am one of those people who thrive on learning, experiencing, and doing things. In all honesty I have a short attention span, and I'm okay with this.

Two months ago I realized that the decision to major in English was the right decision for me. I decided to go after those dreams I put off so many years ago, when life got in the way. I applied for the CHP and I'm currently going through the beginning stages of the hiring process. Regardless of whether or not I actually make it through the process or not, I've gone for it. I've also gone back to my roots and began writing again, following the dream of a younger me, who wanted nothing more than to write the style of books that I lost myself in while growing up. The common thread through all this? English. It is the best degree to build the solid foundation for the rest of my dreams, and ambitions. Luckily for me it also doesn't require me to understand math.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, you've made some fine connections through the different phases of your life within this assignment. I like how it has all come full circle for you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete